yesterday my mom-in-law mentioned that she has never tried any of my baking attempts....cause she doesnt like chocolate !! :( so just for her i decided to try my hands on my very first Apple Cake ....so this is for you Ammi! hope you like it!!
Adopted From Bake Fresh
Butter 2 tbsp
Sugar 2 tbsp
Lemon 1 tbsp
Flour 1 cup
Canola Oil 1/2 cup
Baking Powder 1 tsp
Vanilla 1 tsp
Demerara Sugar 2-3 tbsp
1. Peel, core and thickly slice apples.
2. Squeeze lemon juice on it and mix.
3. Melt butter, add in apples and sugar.
4. Cook for 5 minutes until bubbly.
5. Place all cake ingredients in a bowl and beat it at low speed until combined.
6. Mix in half of the apples.
7. Pour it on a greased 9x4 inches rectangular pan or 9 inch round pan.
8. Spread rest of the apple mixture and sprinkle demerara sugar on it.
9. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 1 hour at gas mark 4 until golden brown and crisp crust is formed.
1. Brown sugar caramelizes very quickly and can turn black if over baked.
2. During baking the apples become very soft and their moisture dampens the cake. Hence remove form pan immediately after taking it out of the oven, else it becomes fragile and breaks easily.
3. Do not over cook the apples in butter to avoid their getting mushy when baked.
Instead of demerara, I used regular brown sugar. One because its easily available and second cause it was cheaper :)
Happy Baking :)