Few days back my sister who lives in Australia asked for the recipe as her husband is as dessert crazy as I am so I got down to jotting it for her. I am sharing with you the recipe here for those who would love to give it a try. It’s a bit tricky but worth trying if you enjoy baking.
My cake bible is the site ‘Joy of Baking’ – 90% of the recipes are off from her site – and did I mention how amazing she and her recipes are :)
Red Velvet Cupcakes:
1 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cups granulated white sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk [1/2 milk + ½ tablespoon vinegar – leave aside for 5 mins ]
1 tablespoon liquid red food coloring
1/2 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Cream Cheese Frosting:
4 ounces (113 grams) cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup (30 grams) confectioners' (icing or powdered) sugar, sifted
1/3 cup (80 ml) cold heavy whipping cream (double cream) (with 35-40% butterfat)
Red Velvet Cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and line 12 muffin tins with paper cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl sift together the flour, salt, and cocoa powder.
3. In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until soft (about 1-2 minutes). Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Add the egg and beat until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
4. In a measuring cup whisk the buttermilk with the red food coloring. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter mixture, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour.
5. In a small cup combine the vinegar and baking soda. Allow the mixture to fizz and then quickly fold into the cake batter.
6. Working quickly, divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups and smooth the tops with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 18 - 23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean.
7. Cool the cakes in their pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes and them remove from pan. Let cool completely before frosting. Either spread the frosting with a knife or offset spatula.
Cream Cheese Frosting: In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the vanilla and confectioners’ sugar and beat until smooth. Using the whisk attachment, gradually add the heavy cream and whip until the frosting is thick enough to pipe. Add more sugar or cream as needed to get the right consistency.
Makes 12 cupcakes.
Happy Baking ! :)