Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

Red Velvet cup cakes!



Red velvet cupcakes are not a personal favorite but apparently people really like them. Back when I had just started baking a close friend requested that I make a batch for her husband’s birthday. That was the first time I made them and have been making since then. See my thing this I hate to waste what I make and if you are a regular visitor of my blog you would know baking is singlehandedly responsible for my increasing waist line –yes ladies n gentlemen I am a dessertaholic, I don’t eat sweets I literally gulp them down. Well lets not go there so I was saying that because I can’t resist my baking I prefer to mostly bake for other people - friends, family and general acquaintances who would love to eat them. So when my friend asked me for red velvet I jumped at the opportunity to try something new and voila they turned out great and they loved them – mission accomplished!


Few days back my sister who lives in Australia asked for the recipe as her husband is as dessert crazy as I am so I got down to jotting it for her. I am sharing with you the recipe here for those who would love to give it a try. It’s a bit tricky but worth trying if you enjoy baking.

My cake bible is the site ‘Joy of Baking’ – 90% of the recipes are off from her site – and did I mention how amazing she and her recipes are :)

Red Velvet Cupcakes:

1 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cups granulated white sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk [1/2 milk + ½ tablespoon vinegar – leave aside for 5 mins ]
1 tablespoon liquid red food coloring
1/2 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Cream Cheese Frosting:
4 ounces (113 grams) cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup (30 grams) confectioners' (icing or powdered) sugar, sifted
1/3 cup (80 ml) cold heavy whipping cream (double cream) (with 35-40% butterfat)

Red Velvet Cupcakes:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and line 12 muffin tins with paper cupcake liners.

2. In a large bowl sift together the flour, salt, and cocoa powder.

3. In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until soft (about 1-2 minutes). Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Add the egg and beat until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.

4. In a measuring cup whisk the buttermilk with the red food coloring. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter mixture, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour.

5. In a small cup combine the vinegar and baking soda. Allow the mixture to fizz and then quickly fold into the cake batter.

6. Working quickly, divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups and smooth the tops with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 18 - 23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean.

7. Cool the cakes in their pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes and them remove from pan. Let cool completely before frosting. Either spread the frosting with a knife or offset spatula.

Cream Cheese Frosting: In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the vanilla and confectioners’ sugar and beat until smooth. Using the whisk attachment, gradually add the heavy cream and whip until the frosting is thick enough to pipe. Add more sugar or cream as needed to get the right consistency.

Makes 12 cupcakes.

Happy Baking ! :)

2 comments:

  1. oooooooh..Yummie..both ur blog outlook n ur recipes.


    am a blogger from Pakistan. . I write on relationships mostly as well as some funny stuff.
    I hope u can be a follower if u like my blog? Don’t forget to comment please !!
    The Emotional Lava
    Best of Luck for ur blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for appreciation catgirl :) i'l surely visit ur blog:)

    ReplyDelete

Pakistani Bloggers

PetitChef

All recipes are on Petitchef

The Foodie Blogroll